The Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority (EAEA) was established in 1955. It conducts national research and development in peaceful nuclear research.
Egypt was the second country in Africa, after South Africa, to build a nuclear reactor. The first nuclear research reactor (ITR-R1), opened in 1961, is a 4 MW Wann-der Graf reactor designed and manufactured in Russia. Other research reactor ET-R-2, 22 MW, multi-purpose nuclear reactor, located in Enchas, 60 km from Cairo, built and engineered by INVAP, Argentina. 
Working in the Egyptian Atomic Energy Authority scientists have been educated at the best universities and scientific institutes. There are four research centers:
Nuclear Research Center (NRC).
Hot Laboratories and Waste Management Center (HLWMC).
National Center for Radiation Technology and Research (NCRRT).
National Center for Nuclear Safety and Radiation Control (NCNSRC).
These centers are divided into several sections.
The Egyptian Atomic Energy Commission is a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and other international and regional bodies