Zagrebačka pivovara (lit. Zagreb Brewery) was founded in 1892, when brewers from the Upper Town of Zagreb realized they were not able to produce enough beer for the ever-growing and developing city. It was the first industrial brewery in Croatia. Today, it is the largest beer manufacturer in Croatia, holding 44% of the market in 2017.
The founding assembly of Zagrebačka pivovara as a joint-stock company was held on May 19, 1892, in the premises of the Croatian Discount Bank at the Ban Jelačić Square. The main initiators of the construction of a new facility were count Gustav Pongratz and baron Petar Dragutin Turković. Shortly after the convention, construction in Gornja Ilica began under supervision of Janko Grahor, based on plans made by architect Kuno Waidmann.
The opening ceremony was held on July 12, 1893. This special event attracted thousands of citizens eager to see the new premises. The brewery was equipped with the Habermann cooling system, a 110 volts dynamo machine, two boilers with volume of 64 cubic litres and was illuminated by electrical lights fifteen years before it was introduced in the rest of the city. With good lighting and a big roof, the brewery quickly became one of Zagreb's most notable sights, and a place where citizens felt comfortable.